Sunday 1 November 2015

Lighting Techniques

Classic Portrait (overexposed)

The background for this photo was made using the black side of a reflector, as I didn't have access to any black sheet or cloth. I tried different ways of lighting this picture in order to capture the least amount of creases possible.


Environmental Portrait

This photograph is of my friend playing a game, and the main light source was the TV screen, which gave a blue tinge to the photo.


Natural Light - Using window

This was taken in front of a window in my house, I chose the room that was the most bare in order keep as much focus on the person as possible, and not have too much happening in the background. I also felt that a slightly lower angle shot would work with the position he is in and the way his eyes are positioned.


Natural Light - Split lighting

This photo was taken in my garden, I wanted to have a background that would contrast well with the person in the foreground, and have a split in the background as well as split lighting in his face.


Natural Light - Even tones

This photo I think could have been framed a lot better, as the house behind him provides a background that is too detailed and is slightly overpowering, which draws attention away from the person I photographed.


Lighting Portraits - Artificial Lighting

This photograph was lit using a television, which was fairly close to him. The lit curtains behind him create a contrast an makes the darker side of his face stand out more.


Close Up

This photograph is closer to a mid shot than a close up, as I have more of the rest of his body in the shot rather than his face. I also think the photo could have benefitted from using a reflector to project some more light on his face, but he shadows are also fairly interesting.


Mid Close

In this photographs the light source was behind me and was covered up slightly by the branches of the tree he is sat on.


Full length


Gold Reflector

Makes the image look warmer & more pleasant.


Silver Reflector

Creates higher key lighting and lower contrast.


White Reflector

Higher key lighting, lower contrast and softer light than silver and gold reflectors.


Creating Shadows & Shapes

A light source was placed on the other side of a door with a pattern on, which created the shadow and the lines I tried to make the lines line up with features of tis persons face, to make it resemble a tattoo or something thats on their face, rather than light.

No comments:

Post a Comment