Tuesday 29 September 2015

A Powerful Photograph


I don't know if i would necessarily call this photograph powerful, but its photo's like this that get an extremely strong nostalgic response from me. I would often see these sets on shelves in toy stores when i was 4 or 5, and i had most of the sets in this picture. My mother would always build these with me, and it was one of the most fun things i could do at that age, and my earliest memory is getting my first BIONICLE (specific set not in this image). This LEGO line has been with me for as long as i can remember, and these specific sets were my obsession as a very young child, and so when i look back at images like this i feel an extremely strong sense of nostalgia to the point it often makes me sad, knowing that that time is now over.

I also associate this line with my father, because after not seeing him for what seemed like an eternity at that age, the first time i saw him again he got a BIONICLE set (my first ever BIONICLE set) out of his car and gave it to me. This because something of a tradition every time i'd see my father for the next 4 years. When i lived in Wales for a while, me an my mum would always build the sets seen on the far left, and to this day are still my favorite LEGO sets ever released. 

The photo isn't shot in an inventive way, nor does it speak any sort of message or lesson, it simply reminds me of an absolutely huge part of my childhood - and photo's like this never fail to trigger an extremely strong emotional response from me. I was obsessed with these as a child, and the older i get the happier i get when i look back on photos like these.

Alot of people would say "but they're just toys, they just meant to make money off you", but to me they're a lot more than that. All of my earliest memories revolve around something involving these, and so when i see these classic sets again a can't help but see them as a huge part of my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment